Battle of Gettysburg Fast Facts
- General in Charge: Union--George C. Meade (left); Confederate--Robert E. Lee (right).
- How many soldiers were at Gettysburg? 88,000 Union, 73,000 Confederate (rough numbers)
- Where was it fought? Near the town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
- How long did the battle last? 3 days, July 1, 2, and 3, 1863.
- Who won? Day 1--draw: Day 2--Confederate: Day 3--Union, and Lee falls back to Virginia
- Why is it important? Gettysburg was General Lee’s last invasion of the North. From then on, all battles were fought on Confederate soil.
Soldiers by W. Britains (www.wbritain.com)