Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations. (Psalm 100, KJV)
As we look around us and reflect on the Lord’s love, provision, and leading over the past year, there is much for which we can be thankful.
- We are thankful for the salvation that we have been given through the Lord Jesus Christ. It is based on His finished work on the Cross combined with His grace, mercy, and goodness that we have the hope, as well as the assurance, of eternal life.
- We are thankful for God’s Holy Word. It is through the Bible that we can learn how to live a life that is honoring and pleasing to His Name. How blessed we are to have such amazing access in this country to the Scriptures. In addition, our nation is filled with books and resources that honor Biblical principles, are consistent with the Lord’s teachings, and help us in understanding and applying His truth.
- We are thankful for the ministry of the Holy Spirit, Who serves as our guide throughout this journey of life. What a great privilege to have God’s Spirit indwelling us to give power in living a Christian life of victory.
- We are thankful that God has promised us that He will never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). Therefore, no matter where we are and whatever situation we find ourselves, God is always with us, encouraging us to walk in His truth.
- We are thankful for God’s sovereignty, which extends to every area of life. Based on this reality, we can face the future with confidence knowing that God works everything together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).
- We are thankful that the Lord has allowed us to be a part of His Work while we are sojourning on this earth. What a blessing and a privilege that the Lord has called us to be His ambassadors and provides our lives with meaning and purpose.
- We are thankful for the consistent provision that God has bestowed upon us as His children. We need not be anxious about anything, knowing that God will provide all of our needs through the riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).
- We are thankful for the gift of our earthly family. It is such a great blessing that we can live our lives in the context of close family relationships. Those of us who are married have the privilege of enjoying the most loving and closest relationship on this earth. In addition, those of us who have children are entrusted with a special gift whom we can raise up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
- We are thankful that we can freely and openly worship God Almighty in a manner that is consistent with our conscience. We are filled with gratitude that we can gather together with other believers to glorify the Name of the Lord on high (Psalm 86:9).
- We are thankful for the godly American heritage that we have been given. May the example of the early colonists at Jamestown and Plymouth, who were each committed to entering a new land for the purpose of gospel evangelism, serve as a means of inspiration to spur us on to greater service to the living God.
- We are thankful for the world that God has created. While all of creation is groaning and travailing in pain (Romans 8:22), there is still much beauty and majesty that we see as we look at what He has made.
As we celebrate Thanksgiving this year, may our hearts be focused on the Lord. We serve an awesome God who is beautiful beyond description and has given His children blessings that only His hand can provide!
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!